Date:      Sat, 25 Oct 1997 19:08:48 -0400
From:      jak@cetlink.net (John Kelly)
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 48 meg double fault moved to 64 meg in 2.2.5

"Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com> wrote:

>You know, christmas is coming up and a new Tyan motherboard would
>probably not be that expensive. ;-)

Heh.  I've got one of those too.  Dual P-133s which I would like
to try out on FreeBSD 3.0 one of these days.  If I get much more
computer stuff it's going to start falling out the windows.  At
auction for an incredible price, I bought over a hundred SMC Ultra
ethernet cards to connect this stuff with.  Old McDonald had a web
farm, E-I-E I/O.

>I suppose I could always build you a boot floppy without bounce
>buffering, just to see what effect it has, but that wouldn't do your
>Buslogic controller any good at all during an actual installation. ;-)

Hmmm.  I thought I read that bounce buffers were only needed for
ISA busmastering and boards with "broken" VLB controllers unable
to handle addresses above 16MB.  Even though my motherboard does
not properly implement the A26 line (addresses 64 meg and above),
since the Buslogic 32-bit busmastering controller is only trying
to address memory below 64 meg (the motherboard maximum memory is
64 meg), it works well.  And although it's a seemingly obsolete
486DX4-100, the 32-bit VLB SCSI and a Seagate 7200rpm Barracuda
make it pretty quick.

But in any case, if you create a boot floppy without the bounce
buffers, let me know.  I'll spin it up to see if that change has
any effect on the boot floppy 48 meg problem.

John