Date:      Mon, 2 Jul 2001 21:46:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Joe Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        R <tlhingan@optonline.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 57% packet loss

Performance problems are the trickiest to troubleshoot.  They require a
knowledge of what acceptible performance is.  Since this is a new setup,
you probably don't have that.  I am able to ping through the
hub.freebsd.org with 0% loss, meaning hub isn't the problem.  I am on TW's
cable network.

Have you tried pinging other Internet hosts?  How is your routing table
setup (netstat -rn)?  Do you have a firewall enabled?  NAT?  What does the
traceroute look like for hub.freebsd.org?

Joe Clarke