Date:      Thu, 19 Oct 2000 20:22:16 +0200
From:      "Dave Wilson" <davew@sai.co.za>
To:        <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <sendmail-questions@sendmail.org>
Subject:   Moving mail to another server for 700 accounts

Hi guys, howzit going ?

I have been given the wonderful *not* job of moving 700 mail accounts to a
non-unix mail server.
I have a little script that Phillip(FreeBSD-ISP list *thanks*) helped me out
with that allows me to move each mail accounts data to a specified SMTP
server, the only problem is that I can only do it one account at a time
....which would be a bit tiresome with 700 mail accounts
This is the script Phillip gave me which works perfectly for one user at a
time:

formail -b -Y -f -s /usr/sbin/sendmail -oi $USERNAME@new.mail.server <
/var/mail/$USERNAME

So what I would type is:
formail -b -Y -f -s /usr/sbin/sendmail -oi  user1@new.mail.server  <
/var/mail/user1

The problem is that I would have to do this for each account ie. user1,
user2, user3 etc. all the way up to user700.

Does anyone know how I can get all 700 accounts across in one go ?
I have tried various bash variables etc. to get this working but don't seem
to have any luck
Don't laugh, but this is one way I tried   ;-) :

#  awk -F: '$3 > 100 { print $1}' /etc/passwd > /etc/mail/everyone     #Gets
all users listed on /etc/mail/everyone
#  ALLUSERS=`cat /etc/mail/everyone`
#Sets the variable for all my users
#  formail -b -Y -f -s /usr/sbin/sendmail -oi $ALLUSERS@new.mail.server <
/var/mail/$ALLUSERS  #Tries to mail the whole lot off.

Doing the above led to sendmail or bash or something complaing about an
"ambiguous redirect" ??

I donno, I'm really lost and don't feel like spending 5 hours moving each
accounts' mail separately, please help if you can.... I would appreciate it
a hell of a lot.

Thanks

Regards
Dave Wilson
The S.A. Internet
(033) 3456777
0825496159
http://www.sai.co.za
"Who is "General Failure", and what is he doing reading my hard disk ?"