Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 2000 15:58:18 -0500
From:      David Huff <david@ti.com>
To:        Jan Kunzmann <DerMurx@gmx.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Resolver problem (or bug?)

On Fri, Jul 07, 2000 at 05:59:48PM +0200, Jan Kunzmann wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I have a small private network, with a well configured BIND on a linux
> box (working reliable for years) serving my internal domain. Recently I
> set up a new server with FreeBSD 4.0. Everything works fine except for
> that strange resolver problem: It seems not to append the domain name to
> stripped host names.
>
> If I do a "telnet linux.murx.int" (host names according to the
> configuration files below) from the bsd-box everything is fine. But if I
> do a "telnet linux" I have to wait more than a minute til the login
> prompt is displayed.
>
> <snip>
>
> My configuration files:
>
> --- /etc/host.conf
> hosts
> bind
>
> --- /etc/resolv.conf
> domain murx.int
> nameserver 192.168.1.1

Jan,

The problem may be the "domain" directive in your /etc/resolv.conf. You
might want to replace it with the "search" directive instead. From chap.
16.8 (BIND client issues) in Nemeth, et al _Unix System Administration
Handbook (2nd ed.)_ (a.k.a. "the red book"):

"Earlier versions of BIND used the domain directive in resolv.conf instead
of the search directive. RFC1535 strongly recommends replacing domain with
search, and current resolvers try only the domains listed in the search
list."

Good luck,
--
    _
 __| |_  David P. Huff            | "Real Programmers do String