Date:      Sat, 13 Apr 1996 00:02:03 +0200
From:      se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        Kees Jan Koster <dutchman@spase.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HDD cpu usage (NOT: IDE vs. SCSI).

On Apr 3, 12:15, Kees Jan Koster wrote:
} Subject: HDD cpu usage (NOT: IDE vs. SCSI).
} Hoi Hackers,
}
} When I originally posted my question it was not to (re-)ignite the old
} religious war on what system to use. All I want to know is if the CPU usage
} by my NCR 53C810 controller is excessive or not.
}
} Well, I guess the NCR does use a lot of CPU, and this is normal.

No, the NCR doesn't use much CPU at all ...
Since I seem to have missed your original mail,
I don't know why you come to that conclusion.

The NCR driver does use some 3% of a i486 CPU
for a 5MB/s continuous transfer rate.

Most CPU time reading or writing a file is spent
in the file system code or the appliocation that
has to look at each single byte ...

Regards, STefan
--
 Stefan Esser, Zentrum fuer Paralleles Rechnen		Tel:	+49 221 4706021
 Universitaet zu Koeln, Weyertal 80, 50931 Koeln	FAX:	+49 221 4705160