Date:      Tue, 12 Jan 1999 18:27:16 +0000
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        "Dan O'Connor" <dan@jgl.reno.nv.us>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: User PPP -auto dialout oddity

Dan O'Connor wrote:

> Also, on startup, sendmail always causes PPP to dial out, even though I
> removed the 'q30m' from rc.conf.
>
> I have 'hosts' before 'bind' in my host.conf file, and resolv.conf points to
> my ISP's nameserver.

One thought: try putting bind before hosts, and starting named with the
"-q" option, this will cause it to log all DNS requests, if any are
being made. This may help with both problems, since you can hardcode the
relevant entries into /etc/hosts. There may be other ways, this is just
one. (I suspect when you FTP or telnet in it tries to get the remote
machines hostname. If this is already in /etc/hosts though I don't know
what's going on.)

named itself always seems to cause a dialout on startup here, I think
it's trying to contact the nameservers I have specified or something.

If you don't run named normally, the default configuration should work for
this test.

--
Ben Smithurst
ben@scientia.demon.co.uk