Date:      Thu, 27 Mar 1997 15:24:47 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "A JOSEPH KOSHY" <koshy@india.hp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: StrongARM based NC with NetBSD

> Take a look at:
>
> 	http://www.digital.com/semiconductor/dna.htm
>
> DEC seems to be giving away the design for a 233Mhz StrongARM based
> NC.  Specs go something like: 4-64M memory; ISA/VLB/PCI buses; OpenFirmware,
> 128-512KB Boot ROM, serial parallel game ports, 2MB Video RAM, VGA and TV
> compatible video ouput, ZIP drive, 16 bit SB compatible audio.
>
> They are giving away hardware schematics, board layout, enclosure details,
> and source for a port of NetBSD 1.2.
>
> The proposed `release date' of April 1st is worrying though :-), sounds
> too good to be true.

Heh.  I've seen the box and it does indeed work.

FreeBSD is also involved in this project - it runs on the machines (NC
servers) which feed these little diskless NC boxes, and it's a nice
cooperative arrangement for both camps in that it lets each play to
its respective strengths. I'd like to see a lot more projects like
this! :-)

					Jordan