Date:      Wed, 14 Oct 1998 22:54:43 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Doug Russell <drussell@saturn-tech.com>
To:        "Tom T. Thai" <tomthai@future.net>
Cc:        Steve Kaczkowski <steve@inc.net>, Kevin Lam <kevla@studentmail.dis.unimelb.edu.au>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD & DSL technology

On Sat, 10 Oct 1998, Tom T. Thai wrote:

> Doug, I'm been working with my telco to try for dry copper but the
> insisted that both end points should be served by the same common
> switch/exchange point?  Have you found this to be true?

Generally they are, but it shouldn't be NECESSARY.  As long as the telco
has copper from Point A to Exchange A to Exchange B to Point B, and can
connect (read: is willing to connect) the necessary jumpers, it should
work.  The total cable length must be within range, of course...

If they have no copper running from exchange A to exchange B, you are
stuck.  You'd need a T1 or a fiber or something in that case.

Later......						<Doug>