Date:      Sat, 9 Dec 1995 11:14:02 +0100 (MET)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD Hackers)
Subject:   Re: Who's working on ISDN?

Jordan K. Hubbard writes:

>> The Teles boards are available in the US now as well, contact
>> Teles at (415) 652-9191.
>
> I just called them and got ahold of a very kind and helpful German
> tech support guy who gave me details on the boards (they run from
> around $290 - $350 depending on whether or not you want an integrated
> NT1).  They work with U.S. switches and would appear to be the
> out-and-out cheapest cards available in both U.S. and European
> markets.

Hmm.  I wonder if these are identically the same cards as are
available in Germany?  Over here, the going rate is probably about
$130 (without the NT1, which is always supplied by the phone company
over here).  My (wholesale) supplier has them for DM 159, about $112.

> Even more interesting, he said that 2 of the people on the UNIX
> development team in Germany (they support SCO, Solaris, Interactive
> and Linux) were big fans of FreeBSD: Peter Schumberger and Jenz
> Ketzmeier (not sure about the spelling of the last one)

Jens Ketzmeier maybe?

> can be reached
> at 011-49-30-39928 x260.  Perhaps some of our german members would
> care to get ahold of them?

Now that *is* interesting.  I've previously looked at Teles as a very
uncooperative company.  When I bought my card, I discovered that I
needed to install something called "Windows" on my diskless router
before I could install the software provided (it doesn't need Windows
to run, just to install the U(*&*(&*().  I contacted Teles, in itself
an activity which took over an hour, who told me there was no way
around this, that this was a feature and not a bug.  Finally somebody
sent me a DOS archive with the stuff, but it didn't leave me with a
good impression of the company.

Various people in the Linux group over here (who have a marginally
working Teles driver) have approached Teles and tried to get
information about the cards, so far without success.  I'll give these
guys a call on Monday and discuss the matter with them.  I've heard
from other sources that they're interested in a UNIX driver, but so
far they haven't been able to show anything.  Possibly we could come
to an agreement with them.  I'll report more when I've spoken to them.

Greg