Date:      Mon, 6 Oct 1997 08:20:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        dg@root.com, jkh@time.cdrom.com, andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CVSUP vs. SNAPS

>  * David, perhaps you should try and figure out just what OS I am running:
>  * Orbit:root {104}# uname -a
>  * FreeBSD Orbit.qcsn.com 2.2-STABLE FreeBSD 2.2-STABLE #2: Fri Sep 19 13:56:36 PDT 1997     root@Orbit.aac.dev.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/ORBIT  i386
>  *
>  * Now you tell me, is that before or after 2.2.2???
>
> I don't know.  All I know is that you built your kernel on 9/19.
>
> Why does it matter whether it's before or after 2.2.2?  What I need
> (if I were David trying to debug your system), what I need is exactly
> when you cvsupped (and cvs updated) your stuff last.  Whether you did
> that before or after 2.2.2 is really too large of a glanurality to be
> of any help.  You are tracking a moving target for christsakes, the
> uname can say "FreeBSD-STABLE" for all we care (except that will
> be confusing because of 2.1 and 2.2).

Of all people to make this mistake.  Okay, I got this old box, I need
to grab a port for it, but I need to know if I want the port from
the 2.2, 2.2.1 or 2.2.2 cdrom.  Yea, I updated the box a couple times,
but it still should run any port from the correct cdrom, or for that
matter from the archives on the ftp site.

Get the picture???

> Besides, if I show you a uname that says "3.0-CURRENT Fri Jan 18
> 13:56:36 PST 1998", can you tell whether it's before or after 3.0R?

Nope, not if Jordan insistes on continuing to equate a variable named
REVISION to a management tool called cvs and it's branch tags :-(

Accurate Automation, Inc.                   Reliable computers for FreeBSD