Date:      Sat, 26 Feb 2005 14:16:31 -0600
From:      "Jeremy Messenger" <mezz7@cox.net>
To:        vova@fbsd.ru
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How does GNOME 2.9.x in MarcusCom treats you so far?

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 22:23:10 +0300, Vladimir Grebenschikov <vova@fbsd.ru>
wrote:

> В сб, 26/02/2005 в 12:45 -0600, Jeremy Messenger пишет:
>> On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 15:06:04 +0300, Vladimir Grebenschikov
>> <vova@fbsd.ru>
>> wrote:
>>> More issues:

<snip>
>>> - Evolution does not handles mime-types as it is done by nautilus.
>>> - KDE menu items is mixed with gnome menu items and most kde items has
>>> no icons.
>>
>> Can you send me screenshot of it? I haven't seen how it looks like in
>> GNOME 2.9.x. As for no icons, it's mostly KDE's fault for not put name
>> of
>> icon in the *.desktop as it's not much we can do. You will have to bug
>> in
>> KDE bugzilla for add icon in the *.desktop.
>
> I've attached screen-shots.

Thanks! Do you like how GNOME 2.8.x's menu works? I can try to give it a
shot to do that same thing for GNOME 2.9.x.

> How KDE itself works ? I guess it shows all icons right.

No idea. GNOME follows *.desktop pretty much everything, but KDE seems
like not do that. For example, can you check in kmail.desktop or whatever
what's for KMail? It should have something like 'Icon=kmail.png' in it.
There are some KDE's *.desktop are missing 'Icon=' and 'Categories=' that
caused GNOME's menu not work perfect.

>>> - Old customized menu items (added into /usr/X11R6/share/gnome/apps) do
>>> not visible now.
>>
>> Can you me which ports that are install in there? I did moved few of
>> mine
>> ports from apps to applications to get it works with GNOME 2.9.x. Also,
>> the apps is old, so I think its best to move those to applications.
>
> It is not from ports by my custom items. Adding Categories= does not
> helps
<snip>

Add 'Categories=' does work for me. Show us how you custom your own
.desktop file. Be sure to check this url.

http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/menu-spec-0.9.html#category-registry

Cheers,
Mezz

--