Date:      Tue, 10 Aug 1999 12:19:08 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "M. L. Dodson" <bdodson@beowulf.utmb.edu>
To:        "Bill A. K." <billieakay@yahoo.com>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   USB

Bill A. K. writes:
 > Hello,
 >
 >      I want to run a Logitech USB Mouse with a wheel on FreeBSD 3.2-RELEASE.
 > I need to know how to use FreeBSD's USB functions.
 >
 > I don't need to use the wheel at all.
 >
 > If you can help, please let me know.
 >
 > Bill
 > billieakay@yahoo.com

Here is what I have in the USB section of my kernel config:

# USB support
controller    uhci0
controller    ohci0
controller    usb0
#
# for the moment we have to specify the priorities of the device
# drivers explicitly by the ordering in the list below. This will
# be changed in the future.
#
device        ums0
device        ukbd0
device        ulpt0
device        uhub0
device        ucom0
device        umodem0
device        hid0
device        ugen0

#
#options       USB_DEBUG
options       USBVERBOSE

This is for a Dell Inspiron 7000 laptop.  Then I just made the
ums0 device in /dev, plugged in the Logitech wheeled mouse, and
it Did the Right Thing (TM).  This is for the USB port directly
on the laptop.  Things are not joy for the Inspiron port
replicator, where the Dell does not like the Logitech at all:
spends a long time there at boot before giving up and
inactivating that port.

--
M. L. Dodson                                bdodson@scms.utmb.edu
409-772-2178                                FAX: 409-772-1790