Date:      Tue, 10 Dec 2002 17:52:18 -0500
From:      "Rouzer, Charles A (Chuck)" <car@vitalit.com>
To:        <freebsd-cluster@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: sharing files within a cluster

> >    Lets not put Linux down like that.  ;-))  I like "Linux is the new
Unix."
> > better.  ;-)
>
> I think FreeBSD would run all these Linux things just as well as Linux
> does. I sure wish somebody would look at bproc for FreeBSD.

    Sure, FreeBSD runs great and runs Linux apps great, but unfortunately
Linux is killing it (everything server wise?) as far as market share, mind
share, developers, etc.  There are still some impressive leading edge
solutions being developed for proprietary unix platforms, but we can see
that with the impressive market share and active development of leading edge
solutions for Linux, it is clearly the new Unix IMO.  I don't want to get
into an argument about this I just wanted to emphasize the meaning behind my
comment.  As recently stated on newsforge.com ... "Enterprise-level software
vendors can no longer ignore Linux"  We can hope this helps FreeBSD along
the way.

> > GlobalFS for potential ports would be a good start.  I don't know anyone
who

> "GlobalFS" in general is bad. global anything is bad. Consider Private
> Name Spaces.

   Are we refering to the same thing?  I'm refering to the named Global File
System originally created by Sistina and also available for Linux only by
The OpenGFS Project.  What would be a cluster capable file system you might
suggest?

> > - Process migration, cluster wide /proc, GlobalFS or Other (ClusterFS?),
>
> no, please check out Plan 9, cluster-wide /proc is not a good thing. At
> most you want the bproc-style proc.

    Why?

> > - Scale to 100s of nodes.
>
> start at 1024.

   I just want to start with 2. hehe

> > - Cluster wide shared memory.
>
> eek.

  I would think that being able to suspend and move processes between
machines would be a good thing.

Chuck