Date:      Tue, 01 Apr 1997 16:15:50 -0500
From:      Jen and Luke <isis@servtech.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FREEBSD.ORG
Subject:   ldconfig problems

Paul T. Root wrote:

> In a previous message, random junk said:
> > i tried all the suggestions posted here.  the permissions were fine.  copying
> > the library from /usr/X11R6/lib to /usr/local/bin didn't fix it.  no amount of
> > mangling LD_LIBRARY_PATH helped.
> >
> > the solution - halt the system and do a cold power cycle.  (lucky coincidental
> > timing - i had to move my machine to another desk.)
> >
> > when i powered it back up, everything worked perfectly.  and ldd shows that it
> > is picking up libXmu from /usr/X11R6/lib, not /usr/local/lib!
> >
> > go figure.
>
> Sounds like a ldconfig /usr/X11/lib /usr/local/lib
> probably would have done the trick.

I have a had a similar problem ocasionally, I have usr/X11/lib added
with ldconfig at boot, and a few times while trying to compile some
programs it said "-lX11 not found" when compiling the program. I ran
ldconfig /usr/X11/lib /usr/local/lib /usr/lib and it still didnt work.
when i added -L/usr/X11/lib to the CFLAGS it did work though.

I'm not sure why it happened, just thought I would mention it.

Luke