Date:      03 Jul 2001 11:28:45 +0930
From:      Andrew Reid <andrew.reid@plug.cx>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   System Crash during kernel installation

Hello,

I've just ran 'make install' on a FreeBSD machine sitting next to me to
install my newly compiled kernel.

I was running it from an SSH session. The monitor for the FreeBSD
machine is sitting next to me, so I was able to see the following
message when the system decided to hang:

[ In white writing: ]

fault virtual address	= 0x212
fault code		= supervisor write, page not present
instruction pointer	= 0x8:0xc02c0c4c
stack pointer		= 0x10:0xc8b42228
frame pointer		= 0x10;0xc8b4ee28
code segment		= base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
			= DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags	= interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process		= 17042 (sh)
interrupt mask		= net tty bio cam
trap number		= 12
panic: page fault

syncing disks...

That happened whilst 'make install' was running. The last few lines of
output from 'make install' seemed to be installing modules:

===> sound/driver/solo
install -c -o root -g wheel -m 555   snd_solo.ko /modules
===> sound/driver/t4dwave
install -c -o root -g wheel -m 555   snd_t4dwave.ko /modules
===> sound/driver/via82c686
install -c -o root -g wheel -m 555   snd_via82c686.ko /modules
===> sound/snd
install -c -o root -g wheel -m 555   snd.ko /modules
===> ste
install -c -o root -g wheel -m 555   if_ste.ko /modules
===> syscons
===> syscons/blank
install -c -o root -g wheel -m 555   blank_saver.ko /modules
===> syscons/daemon
install -c -o root -g wheel -m 555   daemon_saver.ko /modules
===> syscons/fade
install -c -o root -g wheel -m 555   fade_saver.ko /modules

Hmmm! What's happened? Is this a hardware fault (It's a relatively new
PIII 866, 128MB RAM).

   - andrew

--
void signature () {