Date:      Thu, 31 Oct 1996 04:59:27 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>
To:        Mark Crispin <MRC@CAC.Washington.EDU>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: /var/mail (was: re: Help, permission problems...)

On Wed, 30 Oct 1996, Mark Crispin wrote:

> > > 2) The sticky bit on the mail spool must be set; 1777, not 777.
> > 	This is the cause of the DoS used as an example...
>
> It does, however, prevent bad guys from deleting other folks' mail.

	So does 755...

> > > 3) All users must have a mail file on the mail spool.
> > >    a) This must be done as a consequence of account creation.
> > 	I don't believe any of the Unix variants actually do this in
> > their adduser, do they?
>
> Ours does.

	internally modified, or stock?  what OS?

> > 	so, you are suggesting that touch/<insert favorite editor here> be
> > modified so as to not permit creating a file in /var/mail?
>
> No, that means making programs which access the spool run setuid/setgid.  Some
> UNIX variants do this.

	a setuid touch command?  Sorry, you've still kinda lost me on this,
unless you are suggesting that the 'lock' against accessing spool is
kernel based?

> For what it's worth, I agree with you; NFS mounting mail spools is a terrible
> idea, and that is precisely why I invented IMAP 11 years ago.
>
> Nevertheless, over half of the sites I support NFS mount their mail spools.
> So it doesn't matter what your opinion (or mine) of NFS mounting mail spools
> may be.  NFS mounting the mail spool has to be made to work (as best as NFS
> will permit).

	Except, by "supporting" it in a piece of software that was designed
so that NFS mounts aren't required in no way discourages the use of NFS
mounted spool directories...

Marc G. Fournier                                  scrappy@ki.net
Systems Administrator @ ki.net               scrappy@freebsd.org