Date:      Fri, 28 Mar 1997 08:58:22 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        Andrew Maltsev <am@amsoft.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: moused & X11

>My usual configuration is 11 virtual consoles and XFree on ttyvb with
>xdm runned. It looks like it's not possible to have such layout in 2.2
>freebsd with moused enabled. Am I rigth?  I understand the reason, but I
>think something should be done to fix a problem.
>
>Correct me, if I'm on wrong way, but I see two methods:
>
>1) To create a named socket, to which moused will copy all data from mouse
>port and to have XFree to read this socket as a mouse. It looks easy and
>I'm going to try..
>
>2) I'm not very well know what's happend when X11 activated/deactivated.
>Is it possible for user process (moused) to be warned of such event to
>release /dev/mouse (or what it is runned on) to make it possible for
>XFree to communicate with mouse?
>
>Any suggestions?

To use your mouse, serial, PS/2 or whatever, both in your console and
in your X, you need to tell `moused' the true type of your mouse and
its port. But tell the X server it should access the mouse at
`/dev/sysmouse' and the type of the mouse is `MouseSystems',
REGARDLESS of the actual type of your mouse.

To do this, you should put the following lines in the `Pointer'
section of your `XF86Config':

    Protocol  "MouseSystems"
    Device    "/dev/sysmouse"

Kazu