Date:      Sun, 3 Oct 1999 11:59:53 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: sigset_t changes committed

> I'm not working on changing the build/installworld. There's nothing
> "broken" about having to install the kernel first, IMO. I don't see how
> I can "fix" it then.

In fact for OpenBSD (and I'll assume NetBSD) their `build world'
procedure is to first compile a new config(8), then build and install a
new kernel & reboot.  THEN build and install the rest.

from /usr/src/Makefile:
# 3) It is strongly recommended that you build and install a new kernel
# before rebuilding your system. Some of the new programs may use new
# functionality or depend on API changes that your old kernel doesn't
# have.
#
# 4) If you are reasonably sure that things will compile OK, use the
# "make build" target supplied here. Good luck.

--
-- David    (obrien@NUXI.com)