Date:      Tue, 12 Sep 2006 15:10:54 -0400
From:      "Bob M." <bob.middaugh@comcast.net>
To:        Joel Adamson <trashbird1240@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Flatscreen Monitor Specifications

On Tue, 2006-09-12 at 07:25 -0700, Joel Adamson wrote:
> Howdy Y'all,
>
> I am planning to install FreeBSD this weekend and I am doing a hardware inventory. I have a fairly new computer (bought brand new a year ago: Dell something-or-other 5100C), with a flatscreen monitor and USB everything.  I looked for my monitor specifications last night and have found nothing resembling the 35Hz, 800x600 stuff that is discussed in the handbook.  this would make sense, of course,...
>
> All I've found in Windows Device Manager is something like "Intel 42985G Chipset".
>
> Whenever I've tried liveCDs (FreesBie, various linuces), they have all picked out the monitor just fine (and most everything else).  I just want to cover my bases, in case I end up with a flickering screen, I want to be able to do something about it.
>
> Do you have any suggestions for where I should look for any monitor specifications?  What do I enter when I do my X configuration?
>
> Thanks,
> Joel
>

> Joel J. Adamson
> Arlington, MA

Assuming you have a dell monitor, have you tried looking it up on
http://support.dell.com ?  Most likely, you could even google it.  My
DELL 1901FP, came up when I googled it.  Just worry about the horizontal
and vertical synch/refresh rates for now, if they're wrong you can fry
it.

This is mine:

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier  "DELL 1901FP"
        HorizSync       30-80
        VertRefresh     56-76
   ModeLine "1024x768i" 45 1024 1048 1208 1264 768 776 784 817 Interlace
EndSection

That's the minimum for monitor, I believe, mine works great anyway.

This is my "Screen" section for that monitor:

Section "Screen"
    Identifier  "Screen 1"
    Device      "i810"
    Monitor     "DELL 1901FP"