Date:      Thu, 27 Feb 1997 10:10:54 -0600
From:      Ronald Darden <rdarden@phoenix.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   installation difficulty

I very much appreciate your philosophy, HOWEVER, ....

Installation of FreeBSD is next to impossible unless one is already in
a Unix environment with ALREADY configured ftp, or one BUYS the CD.

It would be nice if there were easy to use instructions how to install
from a DOS partition, especially the packages.

Maybe sample configuration files for ftp in FreeBSD, or just WHERE to
put packages in DOS so that the installation will actually find them.

How do you expect any sane (oxymoron) Windows-user to WANT to migrate
to Unix under these circumstances?

Rather than learning anything, I feel that I'm working in the dark,
even reading the handbook.

WHY ISN'T A SIMPLE HTML BROWSER INCLUDED SO THAT ONE CAN READ THE
DOCUMENTATION?

Lynx can't be obtained except one ftp in the FreeBSD environment, but
that's not possible unless one can configure the dialer.

Installing from DOS can't find the packages index.

In other words, YOU CAN'T GET THERE FROM HERE.

How does one even know how to acces the floppies?

It took me several installations just to get XFree to recognize my
mouse, and even now I can"t get the #$%^@& thing to start up except in
some strange video resolution.

In short, your installation s$%^s!

Ronald Darden