Date:      Wed, 9 Dec 1998 21:14:03 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>, freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Read this...

> >> I suppose I should point you people to
> >> http://www.lemis.com/x/sunworld-bsd.html, which is a draft of an
> >> article I've submitted to SunWorld.  This is for review only in the
> >> present form; please don't distribute it, but I'd be interested in
> >> comments.
> >>
> >> One thing in particular occurred to me in this context: why does Sun
> >> want Linux or *BSD?   On the whole, Solaris <whatever number it is
> >> this week> is a pretty good operating system, and neither Linux nor
> >> *BSD can equal it.  What advantage would I have running FreeBSD on my
> >> UltraSparc?  Or should we be doing what NetBSD and OpenBSD are already
> >> doing and running it on older (32 bit) Sparc hardware?
> >
> > This is my reasoning why I want a sparc port:
> >
> > Solaris (even with source license) is basically closed source.  It's being
> > piecemealed down into as small pieces as possible in order to charge for
> > each individual component.
> >
> > FreeBSD has very neat features NQNFS with leases is great, softupdates
> > _DESTROYS_ solaris UFS without a question.
>
> I thought that Solaris no longer used ufs.  Don't they have something
> more advanced?

You can get Veratias (sp?) but that's a commercial add-on.  yup afaik they
still use UFS, or at least it's the default.  You can't even mount async.

> > Is it just me, or do most of the people on this list dislike SYSV-like
> > setups?
>
> I do, anyway, but before we try to replace them, we should at least
> stand a chance.

Sola-what? :)

> > please excuse the mini sarcasm, but we could ditch FreeBSD all
> > together and run SCO or SolX86 no? :)
>
> Sure :-)
>
> Don't get me wrong, I can see advantages.  But at the moment, I'm more
> concerned with FreeBSD keeping up with the market place, and despite
> all the open source hype, we're having trouble.  There are some basic
> architectural problems that need attention, and I'm not sure that the
> FreeBSD way of doing things is adequate.  This is one of the reasons,
> BTW, that John Dyson stated for leaving the FreeBSD project.

I'm not in the loop as these matters go, i'm not a commiter and haven't
looked into what Dyson has talked about.  I do wish he would come back
continued work on the vm and smp systems would be most welcome I think.

This may not be the best answer here, but i think FreeBSD is thriving just
look how busy the cvs servers have been.  Have you tried to cvsup lately?
:)

-Alfred