Date:      Thu, 13 Apr 2006 18:14:15 -0300
From:      JoaoBR <joao@matik.com.br>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Duane Whitty <duane@greenmeadow.ca>
Subject:   Re: devfs.conf and pass0

On Thursday 13 April 2006 17:31, Kevin Oberman wrote:

> > seems my cd0 and pass0 are still not there when /etc/rc.d/devfs runs
> >
> > I wrote a=3D20
> >
> > sleep 5
> >
> > into it and know it works as supposed on existing pass0.=3D20
> >
> > Anyway this is new, I had not any problem until last week with this.
>
> I think I see the problem (and a possible solution).

hum, I do not like it anyway do have devfs and devfs.rules
IMO this shold be one file only as IMO cd should default to 777 or so to ma=
ke=20
it easier to standard KDE users getting the drive running

anyway, the solution I think acceptable is changing a little bit rcorder
and patching /etc/rc.d/devfs with

=2D  # REQUIRE: rcconf mountcritremote
+ # REQUIRE: rcconf savecore

after this it works fine starting two positions later as you can see:
=2E..
/etc/rc.d/NETWORKING
/etc/rc.d/devd
/etc/rc.d/mountcritremote
<<< devfs was here before
/etc/rc.d/newsyslog
/etc/rc.d/syslogd
/etc/rc.d/savecore
/etc/rc.d/devfs
/etc/rc.d/ipmon
/etc/rc.d/ramdisk-own
/etc/rc.d/SERVERS
=2E..

Jo=E3o

> Since atapicam was re-written a while back, the creation of the cd and
> pass devices is NOT synchronous any longer. If you watch, the probe
> messages for cd devices is now after the mounting of root and the start
> of rc.local. I bet that on some systems, it's taking long enough that
> devfs has already been started, so devfs.conf has done its thing and did
> not have a cd0 or pass0 to chmod.
>
> If you make the chmods in devfs.rules, this will not be a problem as
> they are effective any time a new device is created in /dev.
>
> Unfortunately, this does not fix my problem of wanting to create
> symlinks for /dev/cdrom and /dev/dvd as only devfs.conf seems to be able
> to do this. I guess I should look at adding this to devfs sometime and
> submit a PR asking for the improvement. If this was done, devfs.conf
> could be deprecated and devfs.rules would be the only file that dealt
> with this stuff. Having two files that ALMOST do the same thing is messy
> and can be a bit of a POLA issue for those new to devfs.

=2D-=20

Atenciosamente

Infomatik Internet Technology
(18)3551.8155  (18)8112.7007