Date:      Sun, 6 Feb 2005 16:41:43 +0100
From:      Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Chris <chrcoluk@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: 5.x concerns

--nextPart10357063.sl9eDYuH53

On Sunday, 6. February 2005 16:01, Chris wrote:

> 4 - compatiblity, I remember using 5.2.1 and pretty much all software
> worked well in that and then they did the bind defaulting to base and
> libs version jump, why wasnt this done in 5.0

I personally told lots and lots of people to NOT use 5.2.1-Release and wait=
=20
for 5.x to become a stable branch instead, but it still got installed far=20
more often than it really should have. 5.2.1 was still a Technology Preview=
=20
release - it was a snapshot of FreeBSD 5-CURRENT, just as 5.0-RELEASE,=20
5.1-RELEASE and 5.2-RELEASE were before.

In retrospect, there probably should have been more warning signs on the=20
website and the documentation to point out that fact. Also, there probably=
=20
should have been more feature and driver backports to FreeBSD 4, so less=20
people would have been tempted by the better hardware support and general=20
friendlyness of FreeBSD 5-CURRENT. Too late to change now, but perhaps=20
something that should be remembered for the next time FreeBSD goes through =
a=20
similar transition period.

=2D-=20
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi@freebsd.org