Date:      Sun, 15 Jul 2001 20:10:38 -0600
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Randall Hopper <aa8vb@nc.rr.com>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fxtv / G450 hack  (was Re: fxtv, G450, & DGA anyone?)

--X1bOJ3K7DJ5YkBrT

On Sun, Jul 15, 2001 at 09:49:56 -0400, Randall Hopper wrote:
> Kenneth D. Merry:
>  |Randall Hopper:
>  |> For those that also haven't had success with DGA (direct video) with Fxtv
>  |> and XFree86, try the attached patches.
>  |It doesn't seem to work for me.  The behavior is still the same as before.
>  |I have to have something partially blocking the fxtv window in order for
>  |the video to update.
>  |I'm using XFree86 4.1.0, with a MGA driver I built back in March from the
>  |XFree86 CVS tree.
>
> Hmm.  I received mail from Frank Nobis last night who has a G450 running
> XFree86 4.1.0 on 4.3-S SMP with DGA & no problems.  Here I've got
> G450/4.0.3/4.3-S.  So the "MGA driver" version difference may be the
> difference between your two configs.  Also appears XFree86 may have fixed
> the GetVideo bug/feature in 4.1.0.

Yes, that may be the difference.  I forgot that the problem I had with the
MGA driver in 4.1.0 is that my monitor won't sync up at all.  I'm using the
same mode line I've always used, so my assumption is that it's doing
something funky with the timing that puts it out of range.

So it's possible that the stock driver in 4.1.0 would work, if it worked
with my monitor.

> I really just got my G450/Athlon system built and haven't yet gotten to
> tuned it up for FreeBSD/XFree86 (DRI, mga/agp modules, etc.; any URLs to
> web pages or list posts appreciated).  So I'm not sure exactly what you
> mean when you say "MGA driver".  Is this the MGA kernel module?  The driver
> linked into the "XFree86" X server?

The driver module linked into the XFree86 server.  i.e.
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/mga_drv.o

> To your problem, here are a few DGA tests:
>
>      http://people.freebsd.org/~rhh/fxtv/dgatest.c
>      http://people.freebsd.org/~rhh/fxtv/dgafbtest.c
>      http://people.freebsd.org/~rhh/fxtv/tv-dgatest.c
>
> It would be interesting to see if these work for you, and what the first
> one prints.  The first dumps the GetVideo returns.  The second draws
> crosshairs in the corners of your screen via DGA & /dev/mem.  The third
> plops a frame of colorbar video in the corners of your screen, and then
> bounces a TV around (to test TV card memory access vs. CPU memory access).

The first one works, I suppose.  The second one doesn't work like it's
supposed to.  It's kinda hard to describe, so I put an X window dump here:

http://people.FreeBSD.org/~ken/foo.xwd.gz

The colors are off, but I think only the vertical line in the top left
corner was yellow.

The third one didn't work at all.  It hung after printing out the pixel
format information.  The text output from the tests is attached.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@kdm.org

--X1bOJ3K7DJ5YkBrT

XF86 DGA Extension

        Version        = 2.00
        Direct Video   = NO-DirectGraphics NO-DirectMouse NO-DirectKeyb

XF86DGAGetVideo:
        Video Address  = 0x28400000
              Width    = 1280
              BankSize = 32768K
              MemSize  = 32768K

XF86DGAGetVideoLL:
        Video Address  = 0xfa000000
              Width    = 1280
              BankSize = 32768K
              MemSize  = 32768K
XIO:  fatal IO error 9 (Bad file descriptor) on X server ":0.0"
      after 16 requests (15 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

==========  XF86 DGA Query Test  ==========
        Version        = 2.00
        Direct Video   = NO-DirectGraphics NO-DirectMouse NO-DirectKeyb

XF86DGAGetVideo:
        Video Address  = 0x28400000
              Width    = 1280
              BankSize = 32768K
              MemSize  = 32768K

XF86DGAGetVideoLL:
        Video Address  = 0xfa000000
              Width    = 1280
              BankSize = 32768K
              MemSize  = 32768K

Using Pixel Format:
        Bpp,shifts[R,G,B],masks[R,G,B],byteswap =
        4,16,8,0,ff0000,00ff00,0000ff,1

==========  XF86 DGA Draw Test  ==========

   Next we'll draw 8 yellow radial lines from the corners of
   your desktop.  Check that:

      1) you see all 8 lines (2 in each corner: 1 horiz, 1 vert),
      2) they are in the corners of your desktop, and
      3) they are all pure yellow (no odd-color borders)

Move everything away from the corners of your desktop,
and then hit <ENTER>.

Testing complete.  Examine the screen, and then hit <ENTER>.

==========  Any problems?  ==========

If you observe a DGA bug, first verify that the XFree86 FAQ
does not discuss it:
     http://www.xfree86.org/FAQ/
If not, report it to the XFree86 Team.  See the FAQ for details.
     (http://www.xfree86.org/cgi-bin/bugform.cgi)

Be sure to report the -f number (fuzz) required to shift the
lines into place.  For debugging, it might also be helpful to
include a URL to where you grabbed this program.

-f NOTE: If all looks well with 'dgafbtest -f 1024', then
the frame buffer is really 1024 bytes positive offset from
where DGA says it is.

XIO:  fatal IO error 9 (Bad file descriptor) on X server ":0.0"
      after 30 requests (29 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
# ./tv-dgatest
XF86 DGA Extension Test

        Version        = 2.00
        Direct Video   = NO-DirectGraphics NO-DirectMouse NO-DirectKeyb

XF86DGAGetVideo:
        Video Address  = 0x28400000
              Width    = 1280
              BankSize = 32768K
              MemSize  = 32768K

XF86DGAGetVideoLL:
        Video Address  = 0xfa000000
              Width    = 1280
              BankSize = 32768K
              MemSize  = 32768K

Using Pixel Format:
        Bpp,shifts[R,G,B],masks[R,G,B],byteswap =
        4,16,8,0,ff0000,00ff00,0000ff,1
^C

--X1bOJ3K7DJ5YkBrT--