Date:      Wed, 24 Mar 1999 07:18:59 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb@comkey.com.au>
To:        Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>
Cc:        "Scott I. Remick" <scott@computeralt.com>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Out of Swap Space hangs system

> > Is it normal for running out of swap space to hang the system?
>
> Unfortunately, yes.

Right, so far.

> It should not be, especially for a server OS.

By all means provide an algorithm to solve it, if it concerns
you.  I think you'll find it's non-trivial.

> To be serious: To my mind this problem should be addressed as soon as
> possible. I know each FreeBSD developer works for free - but this is a
> serious problem (maybe it has been fixed in -current?).

I'd be surprised if anybody was actively working on it.  It's
not a serious problem -- a properly setup Unix system will never
crash from lack of swap.  I've been running Unix machines for
the best part of 20 years and never seen a panic from lack of
swap.  Some of those machines had 0.5 MB of RAM and a single 50
MB disk, supported several users in a commercial environment and
only ever fell over when somebody yanked the power cord.

--
Greg Black <gjb@acm.org>