Date:      Thu, 3 Jun 1999 11:40:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Dennis Ostrovsky <denis.ostrovsky@yale.edu>
To:        Gerald Smith <smithg@mail.nwc.whecn.edu>
Cc:        Freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Locked in X-login on boot

On Thu, 3 Jun 1999, Gerald Smith wrote:

> If I login with a wrong name or password I get the login incorrect message
> in red.  When I give the correct login name and password, the window
> disappears and it seems that something is happening, but it just comes back
> with the same login window again and I can't get out of this mode.  Either
> this is the way it should work and I am just to ignorant to see what I need
> to do, or it is not working correctly.
>
> If someone out there would give me a hand with this without having to go and
> reinstall completely I would appreciate it.

Hmm, can you shut down X completely (using ctrl-alt-del)? If not, you
could always boot into single user mode (-s switch) and then edit whatever
file you want after you mount the file systems.

Dennis

    Dennis Ostrovsky ** Department of Chemistry ** Yale University

E-mail: den@master.chem.yale.edu     WWW: http://pantheon.yale.edu/~do33