Date:      Sun, 20 Feb 2000 13:13:48 +0100
From:      Gianmarco Giovannelli <gmarco@scotty.masternet.it>
To:        "Stefan Boy" <ohahx@hotmail.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I forgot the root password

At 20/02/00, Stefan Boy wrote:
>Hi
>
>Iam using FreeBSD 3.2
>
>And I have lost the paper where i writed the root password.
>
>I only got two users on the system, thats me, and my girlfriend.
>
>All the passwords was on the piece of paper I lost :\
>
>How can I change the root password ?
>
>I dont got the boot disk.

Boot in single user mode using the -s switch at startup, then when the
single mode boot is finished mount your relevant partitions by hand (i.e.
mount /, mount /usr) and finally change the root pwd with a :
passwd root

Give the command "exit" (the boot process continues) and your are in
business again...

P.s.
It works if your console is "secure" ...

Best Regards,
Gianmarco Giovannelli ,  "Unix expert since yesterday"
http://www.giovannelli.it/~gmarco
http://www2.masternet.it