Date:      Tue, 21 Jan 1997 22:19:11 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cursing the sky (was: Commerical applications ...)

As Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> Well, I hate to admit that BSDI went the perl route and so far they
> seem to really like it.  They did, somehow, manage to get a kernel and
> a single perl interpreter onto an installation floppy but damned if I
> know how they did it.  Perhaps they're using a specially hacked and
> trimmed down version of perl, ...

Not necessarily.  Perl ain't that fat in the ``basic model''.

> However, I think that TCL would result in a lot more people on these
> mailing lists being happy with the final solution.

I don't quite exactly think it's really _more_ people that it will
make happy, i rather believe it's the just the other half of the
people who'll be happy about it...  I for one have never got the
slightest feeling for it.  However, i believe it's a little better
suited for sysinstall due to it being designed as an extensible
interpreter.  (But this is assumption, i don't know very much about
Tcl, but much more about Perl.)

--
cheers, J"org