Date:      Tue, 21 Apr 1998 13:56:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Ugo Paternostro <paterno@dsi.unifi.it>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DNS Cache+MX+SendMail = Host not found...

On Tue, 21 Apr 1998, Ugo Paternostro wrote:

> > I thought you were supposed to use the SmartHost feature for that?
>
> I think you may. But I prefer this way, so that I control all mail parameter
> (e.g. masquerading, canonify and so on) from my mail hub, while all the other
> hosts are dumb ones.

It's commonly used for pointing hosts inside a firewall to the bastion
host for real transmission, and the bastion host firewall method is what
you're using it looks like.

This is starting to get into the sendmail voodoo magic which I know very
little about.

> > That isn't the client's problem -- your smart mail host should determine
>
> Yes, I know. I'm sorry that I didn't point out this clearly.
>
> > this.  I don't think that MX records cause address rewriting tho.
>
> Well, it seems to do that: the mail bounces back to me with a "host not
> found"  error referring to anotherplace.some.domain (the MX record).
> What seems strange to me is that sendmail will queue a mail if it cannot
> resolve its address, but it will complain loudly if it cannot resolve
> its MX... should'n it simply queue the mail with a "deferred: Name
> server: anotherplace.some.domain: host name lookup failure" type of
> error? Is there some configuration option to do that?

That would make sense.  It depends on how anotherplace.some.domain dies, I
would guess.  Can you send mail directly to anotherplace.some.domain, for
instance?