Date:      Mon, 5 Aug 2002 00:46:47 +0200
From:      Andreas Ntaflos <ant@overclockers.at>
To:        Desmond Lee <desmond_lee2001@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: updating to latest stable version

On Sun, Aug 04, 2002 at 02:03:51PM -0700, Desmond Lee wrote:
> Hi there

Hello!

> I'm new to free bsd and i'm using  "freebsd an open
> source operatin system for your personal computer" as
> my guide.

I heard that's a good book for beginners! But I also recommend reading
the following:
http://www.freebsd.org/projects/newbies.html and the handbook at
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/index.html

> It says to sign up to this mailing list and then after
> doing a '/usr/share/examples/cvsup #cvsup -g -L2
> stable-suppfile' to check messages from this mailing
> list?

This is one of the many official mailing lists for FreeBSD and used
by FreeBSD users to support each other when having FreeBSD-related
problems and for discussion about pretty much everything FreeBSD. See
http://www.freebsd.org/support.html#mailing-list and
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/eresources.html#ERESOURCES-MAIL
for all the mailing lists available.

> Is this list suppose to update me on any errors once i
> executed the command above?

Well, no. But when you have a problem with FreeBSD and can't find any
solution by yourself, the FAQ or on the archives of this list, you
might post the problem description here and very likely, you'll get a
useful response. BTW, you should be sending such mails to
freebsd-questions@freebsd.org since it's "User questions and technical
support".

> Oh... and does anyone know why the following doesn't
> work?
> 'cvsup -g -L2 stabel-supfile >stable.out 2>&1&'
> It says 'ambiguous output direct'

This is because the default shell FreeBSD gives you after installation
is tcsh and not bash. The above would work on a bash shell I suppose,
for tcsh (or csh, its predecessor) you might want to use something
like 'cvsup -L2 -g stable-supfile >& stable.out &'.

I urge you to read the handbook. Pretty much everything you're going
to need to know is covered there.

Upgrading to the latest -stable is not as trivial as cvsup'ing your
sources, but not much more difficult either. Read the handbook and
your book, paying special attention to the chapters about upgrading
sources and upgrading FreeBSD.

HTH
--
	Andreas "ant" Ntaflos