Date:      Tue, 12 Dec 2000 18:03:18 -0200 (BRDT)
From:      Rik van Riel <riel@conectiva.com.br>
To:        Charles Henrich <henrich@sigbus.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Filesystem tuning (minimize seeks)

On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, Charles Henrich wrote:

> Im trying to tune a FreeBSD box acting as a NFS file server, and
> was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to handle
> multiple concurrent writes from causing the data to be written
> very non-sequential.  Anyone?  Thanks!

One of the "tricks" to handle this is to use a journaling
filesystem. This allows the filesystem to initially drop
the data in the journal and ack the NFS operation, giving
it the chance to later write out the stuff to disk with
some more freedom in optimising seeks.

I'm not sure if there is a journaling filesystem available
for BSD which does this, however.

Another alternative would be to use LFS, but I don't think it's
up-to-date for FreeBSD ...

regards,

Rik
--