Date:      Wed, 26 Jan 2011 20:46:35 +0100
From:      Marko Lerota <mlerota@claresco.hr>
To:        johnj@external.umass.edu
Cc:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bailing on Solaris?

John Jackson <johnj@external.umass.edu> writes:

> healthy support for Sparc platforms?  I'm trying to decide where to
> jump to,

I have jumped from Linux and Solaris to FreeBSD, and I'm never going
back. Life has been better for me since then :-)

> since Oracle seems like it's accellerating toward death for
> Solaris as I've come to gladly know it over the last 5 years or so.
> Does anyone want to email me their opinion on using FreeBSD on Sun
> hardware?  I've got 4 Sunfire 280R's that I've been planning on
> putting into service for the next 5 years or so..

I have only one FreeBSD server on Sparc (Sun 420R). And it runs without
any problems for 4 years now. Last uptime was more than 500 days.
I had to upgrade the server from 6x to 7.3-RELEASE. So there were no
crash dumps of any kind related to FreeBSD OS and Sun hardware support.
Everything I needed I founded in ports. So I'd say, FreeBSD runs like
hell on Sun hardware. Ooops! Oracle :-)

--
Marko Lerota
Sent from my Gnus Mailer