Date:      Mon, 23 Feb 1998 08:38:56 +1100
From:      David Dawes <dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au>
To:        dannyman <djhoward@uiuc.edu>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New SoftUpdates test kit

On Sun, Feb 22, 1998 at 03:20:19PM -0600, dannyman wrote:

>> > harderrors are usually signals of bad disks from my experiance.
>>
>> My laptop disk went dead with the above errors. :(
>
>How about just one such error that popped up once ever and you're a poor
>college student, and the disk itself has been employed < 1 year? :)
>
>I'm scared.
>
>Also, it's an IBM hard disk ... if it is going bad, you think they'll take it
>back just coz FreeBSD gave me a cryptic warning?

I've seen exactly the same message with an IBM disk (less than one year
old, and not a laptop).  It happens infrequently.  It looks quite
different from the messages I used to get from a drive that was going
bad, but only time will tell for sure with this one.

Looking through the logs, I found a few different ones, which might be
more serious(?):

wd2: interrupt timeout:
wd2: status 58<rdy,seekdone,drq> error 1<no_dam>

wd2: interrupt timeout:
wd2: status 58<rdy,seekdone,drq> error 60<uncorr,id_crc>

David