Date:      Wed, 20 Oct 1999 19:28:10 +1000
From:      jonathan michaels <jon@caamora.com.au>
To:        Tim McCullagh <timbo@halenet.com.au>, Enno Davids <nconedd@mensa.national.com.au>, jesse reynolds <jesse@va.com.au>
Cc:        jwyatt@rwsystems.net, danny@clari.net.au, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cable modems and FreeBSD  and ADSL in Australia

On Wed, Oct 20, 1999 at 08:53:51AM +1000, Tim McCullagh wrote:
> From: "Tim McCullagh" <timbo@halenet.com.au>
> To: "Enno Davids" <nconedd@mensa.national.com.au>,
>         "jesse reynolds" <jesse@va.com.au>
> Cc: <jwyatt@rwsystems.net>, <danny@clari.net.au>, <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
> Subject: Re: cable modems and FreeBSD  and ADSL in Australia
> Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 08:53:51 +1000
> Sender: owner-freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG

> Hi All,
>
> For what it is worth, it is my understanding that the ACCC has opened up
> access to the Telstra local loop,  and will do so until it determines that
> there is enough competition,   then it will close access to the local loop.
> It is also my understanding that you would need to have a carrier licence to
> have access to it....
>
> What is realy worth keeping in mind though is that in many areas
> (particually Country areas)  the cable would be more trouble than it is
> worth, as it has not been maintained very well,   design rules have been
> ignored and given that Telstra now uses managers with little experience in
> this field,  nothing is likely to change.   For those that have knowledge in
> this area I am referring to   changes in cable conductor diameter,   the
> lack of screen continuity and general poor management practices (Pair Gain
> Systems).
>
> There is also the issue of ISP using a copper / satelite solution which may
> be more feasible / affordable  even though it has its limitations.   This is
> not to say that we should avoid the issue of adsl,  but we should understand
> some of the head aches we might get,  particually if you do not have an
> understanding of current Telstra cable practices....   To give but 1 example
> have any of you got cusrtomers 2 to 3 KM from an exchange complaining about
> dropouts and unable to get a connection.    While in theory this is
> considered a reasonable distance from the exchange,  in practice if there
> are 2 or 3 changes in the cable conductor size then it is conceivable that

> the line loss will be outside the 6.5 db limit.   If the customer or
> yourself report the phone as being unable to connect then Telstra will
> perform DC line tests which do not measure line loss,   they will then turn
> around and telll you the problem is your customer equipment....   The
> worrying part of all this is that Telstra has not trained its fault staff to
> look for such problems,  and given the cost of repairing such problems they
> are unlikely to do so.

had the customer purchased a datel connection at whatever line
equalisation be it 2400 baud, 9600 baud and much latter 19200
baud.

baud is the real  baud not the usual consumer notion of baud ==
bits per second, as most ofthe terminology did refer to prior
to quam and such like encoding systems that allowed
manufacturers to cram more and more data into the basic 2400
baud customer/consumer based line equipment.

i have never had any problems on telecom aust datel circuits,
though while i lived in certain areas of sydney that optus
strung its hf variety tv cable virtually outside my study
(where my permanent connection over voice grade line is
situated) the connection rate droped from a rock stable 28k8
connection to a fluctuating connect at 26k4 or 24k and fallback
to 21k? and as the evening wore on and more guppies turned on
thier settop boxes i watched my connections throughput fall to
as  low as 19k2 line connection and erratic data rates.

this dosent happen with datel circuits, you pay extra much
extra fro datel circuits. i am use  the same thing is happening
all over the world, thier is a difference in quality between
consumer grade voice specific line and equipment and corporate
level data communications links .. as one engineer explained to
me once "its all about how much your data is worth".

it is possible to get "comercial grade" services, but who is
going to make up the fee shortfall ? to reiterate, this is not
just an australian consumer issue as the world  turns to
computer moderated communications the old world of "if yo can
hear your calling party" over the fensing wire for phone
connections is just not going to cut it.

telstra must be listening, my pstn permanent dialup connection
just dropped out, so it must be time to finish up.

regards

jonathan