Date:      Mon, 26 Nov 2001 02:40:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/32226: time of day clock runs fast (approx twice as fast)

The following reply was made to PR kern/32226; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To: Alan Edmonds <kb5zuy@airmail.net>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 10:38:37 +0000

 On Fri, Nov 23, 2001 at 06:22:37AM -0800, Alan Edmonds wrote:
 > Timecounter "ACPI"  frequency 3579545 Hz
 > acpi_timer0: <32-bit timer at 3.579545MHz> port 0xf108-0xf10b on acpi0

 > >Fix:
 > I can fix the problem by setting the kern.timecounter.hardware variable to TSC (instead of ACPI).

 I'm fairly sure this is due to broken hardware for the ACPI timer.
 Atleast I had the same problem with one machine running -current
 and resorted to using the TSC as a timecounter again too.

 I don't know if it is a common enought problem that there should
 be a work around. It may well be worth it to avoid a deluge of
 complaints when -current becomes -stable. (Mind you, people with
 broken ACPI stuff will have enough problems when -current becomes
 -stable anyway.)

 	David.