Date:      Tue, 12 Sep 2000 00:35:36 -0400
From:      Archibald Hive <archive@e-u-a.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Question

I have looked high and low on the site for information on tape drives.  I own
three tape drives (A conner CTT800I-F, Colorado 250 and a Archive 31250Q Floppy
Adapter Tape Drive).  I've tried every possible configuration that i could find
on the site and have not been able to get to work properly, nor have i seen
any thing that would indicate that they wouldn't work.

I've been an steady and avid freebsd user 2.2.5 and have always been pleased
with the way freebsd shines.  I like it so much that it is the predominate OS
on my network (5 out of the 11 machines (5 fbsd, 4 Solaris, 1 NeXT and 1 win).

Where was I? Oh, what is the best choice of tape media for a fbsd system? I'm
grasping at straws at this point in time as I've tried drive after drive after
drive.  If i remember, in early releases floppy adapter tape drives were viewed
as /dev/ft0 -- not anymore.  I'm trying to find a way to access these (or one)
drives.

The handbooks/backups-tapebackups.html#BACKUPs-TAPEBACKUS-MINI looks
as if it has been dumped into the /dev/null so i don't know if i should take
that to mean that those series of drives are no longer supported or if they are
under development.

thanks
archibald hive