Date:      Tue, 22 May 2001 13:36:16 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <dougy@brizzie.org>
To:        <KiwiCado23@aol.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Question

> Unsure of the proper source of information, I turn to whoever this
e-mail
> address belongs to. I attempted to install FreeBSD on a ancient 386
laptop
> and it is not working, are you the correct e-mail address to
diagnose the
> problem or can you please direct me to the appropriate person.

the "386 laptop" tells the story :)

I've never found installation works properly with less than 16Mb RAM,
and very
few geriatric 386 laptops of my acquaintance had more than 4Mb.
Furthermore
laptops are probably the worst machine possible to install any unix
... they typically
have the weirdest hardware in existence & its often difficult even
installing Windows !!