Date:      Fri, 5 Jan 1996 18:09:41 +0700 (ICT)
To:        Donald Burr <d_burr@ix.netcom.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: a couple host.conf and nameserver questions...

On Thu, 4 Jan 1996, Donald Burr wrote:

> I run FreeBSD 2.1-release on my 486/66, which is connected to the rest of
> the world via a 28.8 PPP connection.  Naturally, this ain't no 56k line,
> and so things tend to bog down sometimes, especially when I'm FTP'ing in
> another session or something.  This especially hurts stuff like
> IP->hostname resolution, e.g. when using the "netstat" command or
> similar.  So I decided to try something: I figured, as an experiment, to
> put the IP addresses and hostnames of some commonly-used hosts
> (ftp.cdrom.com, ftp.freebsd.org, all the various netcom servers, etc.)
> into /etc/hosts.  Because I remember vaguely that there is a way to tell
> UNIX to search /etc/hosts BEFORE going out on the net and consulting a
> nameserver.
>
> Back in my heydey of Ultrix, I remember there was a file called
> something like /etc/svc.conf where I could say something like "hosts =
> hosts, bind", which basically meant that the system would look in
> /etc/hosts to resolve IP addresses to names, before checking the
> nameserver.  (Please excuse any mistakes, it's been a long time, and one
> I'd rather forget...)
>
> More recently, when running LInux, I could use the /etc/host.conf and put
> "order = hosts, bind" in it to do the same thing.
>
> But apparently, FreeBSD doesn't work that way.
>
> If I just put "hosts" alone in /etc/host.conf, then it works fine.  But
> if I try accessing a host that's not in /etc/hosts, it craps out wiht an
> error.  OK, this makes sense.  But it isn't quite the desired behaviour.
>
> If I put:
>
> bind
> hosts
>
> in it, then it checks the nameserver first, and if the nameserver doesn't
> know about it, THEN it looks in /etc/hosts.  This works too -- the
> nameserver knows about Internet hosts I'm contacting, but DOESN'T know
> about hosts on my local ("fake") ethernet.  But /etc/hosts knows about
> these, so everything is still cool.
>
> BUT (and here's the clincher), if I put:
>
> hosts
> bind
>
> in /etc/host.conf... well, you'd figure that it'll check the hosts file
> first, and if it can't find it, it'll check the nameserver.  WRONG!!  It
> still insists on checking the nameserver first, then /etc/hosts.  Not the
> desired behavior either.
>
> So what's going on here?  Is this a bug in the shared libraries, or the
> networking code, or whatnot?  (FYI, this system usd to be a 2.0.5 box, so
> MAYBE some old 2.0.5 stuff is still hanging around... if this behavior
> is fixed in 2.1, then that it might be the time to throw caution to the
> wind and go ahead and do a full re-install)
It cannot find name server for you,this is example /etc/resolv.conf file,
please modify it.
;
; resolv.conf file for server lily
;
domain bu.ac.th
nameserver 202.44.254.21     # lily.bu.ac.th
nameserver 202.44.254.22     # iris.bu.ac.th
nameserver 192.150.251.21    # morakot.nectec.or.th
nameserver 137.39.1.3        # ns.uunet.net

> Now, on an aside: Is it possible for me to set up a SMALL nameserver
> (named) on my machine that will somehow CACHE all recent IP->host mappings
> that my box does, so taht if I've associated an IP with a host name
> already, it won't have to go out on the ppp link to access the internet?

yes,you can.

Charoenchai Kiranantawat
Bangkok University
Bangkok,Thailand.