Date:      Tue, 8 Sep 1998 17:09:14 -0500
From:      Frank Pawlak <fpawlak@execpc.com>
To:        Yoav Cohen-Sivan <ycs@netvision.net.il>, allen campbell <allenc@verinet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Oracle and Linux

On Tue, Sep 08, 1998 at 11:07:34PM +0300, Yoav Cohen-Sivan wrote:
> allen campbell wrote:
> >

> > Been there, done that.  Do this even if you don't want it.  You
> > can bet they are watching the numbers.
> >

> That would be a big mistake. Flood them with thousands of phoney
> requests, get them to commit megabucks in the Freenix space. Then, when
> they release the product, say: "Um, sorry... we just wanted you to port,
> we don't really need it." Having only 50 people buy it, after thousands
> clamored, will reach one goal only: you can bet Oracle will drop out of
> the Freenix scene for the next ten years. Not to mention them telling
> other companies what a waste of resources it was.
>
> Let true market forces work. No need to cheat someone into a port, when
> there is no real demand for it, just so we can say: "Look, we have ten
> gazillion apps..."
>

> > One administrator who recognizes the potential of Linux is worth
> > several ordinary admins, and one FreeBSD admin is worth at least
> > three or four typical Linux guys. :)
>
> Jordan wrote a really nice editorial for freshmeat.net, about a month
> ago, on this topic. Why do Linux and FreeBSD advocates hate each other
> so much? We are in this together.
>

> 	Yoav

This makes the most sense of all that has been said on this matter.  Carrying out the
types of ideas denounced in this post will result in exactly what is predicted here.
The only effective method to get ISV's to port to any OS is to present a sound
business case for them to do so.  Apparently that has yet to be done in the case of
FreeBSD, and that is sad.  IMHO, running under emulation does not have the same cool
factor or wham effect as running native...

Regards,
	-- Frank
--
"At no time is the freedom of speech more precious then when a man hits
his thumb with a hammer."