Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2000 10:53:46 +0200 (IST)
From:      Roman Shterenzon <roman@harmonic.co.il>
To:        Bernhard Valenti <bernhard.valenti@gmx.net>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ICQ behind natd masquerade

Just my 0.02$;
The ICQ is uses udp to contact the server; perhaps the natd "forgets" about
your icq session when the interval between the packets is too great?
maybe you need to decrease the interval in icq or increase some timeout
in natd.
However I have no idea if my theory is right, guys, anyone, opinion?

Quoting Bernhard Valenti <bernhard.valenti@gmx.net>:

> i have the same problem here too.
> 4.1-stable natd, and using icq 99 or 2000 on the windows clients.
> i'd also guess that its some problem with natd... i didnt try ipnat
> cause
> there were lot of bad things about it in the mailing list some time
> ago...
>
> bernhard valenti
>
> At 18:49 20.09.2000, Lauri Laupmaa wrote:
> >Hi
> >
> >if I have windows ICQ (version does not matter) behind FreeBSD natd,
> >people who have me in their contact list complain that I go
> offline/online
> >all the time.
> >
> >It happens in various networking conditions, with fast & slow
> connections,
> >etc. So, I am confident this is a ptroblem in natd. For example behind
> the
> >same connection i'm using is a guy with linux masquerading also using
> icq
> >and he does NOT have this problem...
> >
> >anyone cares to comment ?
> >
> >TIA

--Roman Shterenzon, UNIX System Administrator and Consultant
[ Xpert UNIX Systems Ltd., Herzlia, Israel. Tel: +972-9-9522361 ]