Date:      Sun, 1 Jul 2001 09:44:27 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Jun Beldad <nuj@dost.gov.ph>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: need help with freebsd

## Moved from -newbies to -questions.

On Fri, Jun 29, 2001 at 02:24:54PM +0800, Jun Beldad wrote:
> hello to all
>
> I'm using FreeBSD 3.2 as a mail server. I have a few questions in mind, please help.
>
> 1. users always see "FreeBSD/i386 (localhost.localdomain) (ttyp1)" ,
> which file should I modify so that it would appear something like
> "Welcome to ....." ?

You need to change the hostname of the machine.
Set this by editing /etc/rc.conf and adding a line:

    hostname="your.full.host.and.domain.name.here"

or changing an existing hostname line, if one already exists.

> 2. recently, the root receives mail from "root(Cron Dameon)" with
> subject : Cron root@localhost /usr/libexec/atrun, what am i suppose
> to do ?

What do you mean, "what are you supposed to do"?
It's mail.  Read it, would be a reasonable thing.
Forward it to some mailbox that you regularly check, is another idea.
It's actually up to you to choose :)

> 3. I need "file" command that supports "-b" but I can't seem to
> download it from any ftp site suggested in the man pages... anyone
> who knows where else can i download it?

What is your -b option supposed to do.  From the manpage of file(1) on
my FreeBSD system I read:

    OPTIONS
	 -b      Do not prepend filenames to output lines (brief mode).

Is that what you mean?

If not, reaed the manpage of file with `man file' and see if some
other option does what you are trying to do.

Ciao,

-giorgos

PS: The -newbies list is not for posting questions.
    Try posting to freebsd-questions@freebsd.org next time you
    want to ask something about FreeBSD.

    Before posting to -questions though, it would be a very good idea
    to read what Greg Lehey has written about using the list
    effectively.  Point your browser at

	http://www.lemis.com/questions.html.