Date:      Fri, 6 Jan 2006 11:01:04 -0500
From:      David Gilbert <dgilbert@dclg.ca>
To:        Eugeny N Dzhurinsky <eugenydzh@jdevelop.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Palm Tungsten E2

Eugeny> On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 05:51:18PM +0200, Eugeny N Dzhurinsky
Eugeny> wrote:
>> Is there any how-to available about how to convert and upload, for
>> example, PDF document to Palm? Or how to synchronize Palm with
>> JPilot?
>>
>> I installed JPilot from ports, but was not able to access my Palm
>> (when attaching, and after pressing hotsync button on USB cable,
>> Palm becomes available as /dev/ugen* ). I tried to set PILOTPORT to
>> /dev/ugen0 and all other ugen* devices, but no luck :(

Eugeny> okay, after rebuilding kernel i was able to connect with
Eugeny> JPilot and see some data. Now I have questions - how can i
Eugeny> upload, for example, PDF document or MP3 file?

Well... that really is an 'evil palm' question, but I'll help you
out.  Basically, if it's a .prc or a .pdb, you can upload it directly
to your palm.  For all other kinds of files, you need to either have
something on your palm that will "accept" them, or you need to convert
them.  Only recently has an open source pdf reader been available for
the palm and only recently has 'docuements to go' accepted raw files.

Previously, you had to be in windoze and use a conversion program.
isilo is a popular conversion format that has UN*X support.

Now... PDFs are a particular problem ... because even if you can
convert them, they're a pain.  PDF's are often generated with the
assumption of being electronic paper and are notoriously hard to
reformat (if they can be reformatted at all ... some are bitmaps of
the text at resolution 'x' --- often 300).  So even though you can
download a pdf to your palm and read it, the whole experience is
unfulfilling.

Dave.

|David Gilbert, Independent Contractor.       | Two things can be          |
|Mail:       dave@daveg.ca                    |  equal if and only if they |
|http://daveg.ca                              |   are precisely opposite.  |