Date:      Fri, 17 Jun 2011 14:18:53 +0100
From:      Graeme Dargie <arab@tangerine-army.co.uk>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: OT: Strange memory reading (hardware)

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-freebsd-questions@freebsd.org [mailto:owner-freebsd-questions@f=
reebsd.org] On Behalf Of Robert
Sent: 17 June 2011 00:06
To: Chuck Swiger
Cc: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 15:11:22 -0700
Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com> wrote:

> On Jun 16, 2011, at 2:10 PM, Robert wrote:
> > I have tested with all of the sticks installed and with one at a
> > time. When all of the sticks are installed, BIOS show a total of
> > 2752 MB of RAM. If any of the sticks are installed alone in any of
> > the four slots, BIOS then shows 960 MB instead of the 1024 one
> > would expect.
>=20
> Sounds like the BIOS is stealing 64MB for video RAM.
> There's likely a BIOS setting which governs the size of this.
>=20
> As for not being able to access all 4GB, this is a FAQ.
> If you run a 32-bit system, the top gigabyte or so of address space is
> reserved for memory mapped I/O reservations like AGP, PCIe, etc.
>=20
> If your hardware is capable of running in 64-bit mode, do that.
>=20
> Regards,

Chuck

Thanks for the reply. I should have been clearer. During POST only 2752
MB is shown.

Also, I am running the amd64 version of freenas.

As I said, I am 100% sure this is a MOBO hardware problem and I was
just trying to compute the math.

Robert
"

The BIOS if it has shown 4096mb at post in the past would suggest that it i=
s up to date at least enough to deal with 4gb of ram. I would say the likel=
y hood of all 4 ram sticks developing the exact same problem at the same ti=
me while not impossible is highly unlikely. Do you have another machine you=
 can test the ram in or stick of ram you can test on this motherboard? Not =
sure if your board will let you do this or not, but try 1 stick in bank 1 r=
ather than bank 0, and see what it shows, you might also want to repeat the=
 same test with 1 stick in bank 2 and then in bank 3. Bios settings for on =
board video will reserve some ram, some boards report the main ram figure l=
ess this figure others do not. You might want to try doing a bios reset wit=
h the jumper on the motherboard its self. Also give the ram slots a blow ou=
t with some aero duster could be there is some dirt in them. Other than run=
ning memtestx86 or the 64bit equivalent I am pretty much out of ideas.

Regards

Graeme