Date:      Mon, 23 Jul 2001 04:26:19 +0100 (BST)
From:      Joshua Goodall <joshua@roughtrade.net>
To:        Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>
Cc:        <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, <freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: flags on symlinks

On Sun, 22 Jul 2001, Bakul Shah wrote:

> Well, I won't mind if {,l}ch{mod,own,flags} etc become library
> routines.  Something like:

I'm not going to take that path, but if you wanted to change the syscall
interface, a more radical solution would be creation of a (get|set)attrs
call to replace the current [fl]?(chown|chmod|chflags|utimes|stat) set
and create libc wrappers.

However I am going down the road of a lchflags which is consistent with
existing l(chown|chmod|utimes) and also consistent with the NetBSD
implementation.

I doubt many systems programmers would thank me for radically changing
semantics along the way.

Regards

Joshua