Date:      Wed, 18 Feb 2009 06:01:06 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   32-bit truncation of 64-bit values

--82I3+IH0IqGh5yIs

Having just tracked down an issue caused by a pointer-to-int
truncation, it occurs to me that it might be "instructive" to change
the amd64 memory map so that the botton 4GB of address-space was
unmapped by default (ie code, data, bss, stack and mmap all default to
above 4GB).  I notice that the process space layout has already
changed since 7.x was branched (at least the same executable runs on
7.x and SEGVs on -current due to a truncated pointer) and making
this change might reveal more broken code.

Given how close we are to 8.0, this might need to wait until after
8 is branched.

--=20
Peter Jeremy

--82I3+IH0IqGh5yIs