Date:      Sun, 21 Apr 1996 21:34:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <ANDRSN@HOOVER.STANFORD.EDU>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing over Internet

Mike Smith says:

>-STABLE is a state of the souce tree, not a RELEASE or a SNAP.  So
>there aren't any files to FTP.  You have to install 2.1-RELEASE, sup the
>sources to 2.1-STABLE and build the 'world'.  There should be instructions
>on this in the handbook.

Michael, thank you very much.  There are some instructions in the handbook.
I installed 2.1R by FTP and got the sup package as well as others and got
it all installed and running.

There's a sample sup file for STABLE, which seems suited to what I want
to do.  However the sample sup file for ports looks as if it gets sources
for all ports.  I am wondering whether I need to get the sources for the
ports/packages that I have installed and get these rebuilt as well as
everything else in the "make world" process, in order for them to run?

Annelise