Date:      Thu, 17 Sep 1998 00:30:51 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mike <mike@seidata.com>
To:        GVB <gvb@tns.net>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Radius Authentication

On Wed, 16 Sep 1998, GVB wrote:

> I have been struck with the task of setting up a Radius Server running
> FreeBSD.  We have a 3com/USR Total Control Rack with a HiPer Access card

The problematic engineering-release code many of the 3com Chassis' run
will cause you many more headaches than Radius and FreeBSD ever will.
We run Radius on FreeBSD (with no problems for years, I might add) and
3com Chassis' and I'm very pleased with the overall results.

> at which Radius software to run, whether it be Merrit or Livingston, etc.

Merit.  I'm sure you've probably already checked out the rather
verbose info at www.merit.edu/aaa.  If you purchase the 'full' Merit
package, you'll get full source code + many advanced accounting and
user management features.  It is costly, however, and the basic
package is extremely flexible.

> little bit, Setup a radius machine and had the rack authenticate to the

Great, so you've already gotten a Radius package installed and running
- the main 'hump' to get over by any means.

> to authenticate to the Radius machine even for the Administrator account
> and I dont know the correct parameters to set up on the Radius machine to

You should be able to configure the Chassis to use 'local' means to
verify Administrator...  That's not really a Radius issue.

	-mike