Date:      Tue, 23 Mar 1999 16:43:02 -0500
From:      "Gill" <gill@topsecret.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   installing packages

Hello.  I have just recieved and installed 3.1-RELEASE from the CD I orderd
from Walnut Creek a couple of weeks ago.  The initial installation went
smoothly as I had been running 3.0-STABLE on this machine for a few weeks
but wanted to have a fresh install.

On my network I have the following:  1 3Com OfficeConnect ISDN Router
(10.101.101.1); 1 FreeBSD box (486, 16 MB RAM, 515 MB HDD) (10.101.101.2); 1
NT 4.0 SP4 Server (10.101.101.101); 1 NT 4.0 SP4 Workstation
(10.101.101.102).  All boxes run with a 255.255.0.0 netmask.

My FreeBSD box does not have a CD-ROM but the NT Server does, so I wanted to
use that hardware accross the network to install the OS.  Without being able
to remotely mount the CD, I figured the easiest was to create an FTP site on
the NT server and copy everything from CD 1 except the packages folder the
new FTP site.  I did that and the install went marvelous.  Now when i run
/stand/sysinstall and want to add stuff from the packages collection i'm up
against the same problem and rather than try to copy the whole packages
folder from the CD to the FTP directory, I simply set the options on the
FreeBSD box so that it doesn't look for a 3.1-RELEASE directory as soon as
it logs into the FTP server and point the FTP site to the CD-ROM.  So, to
recap, now when you ftp into 10.101.101.101:2101 you get the FreeBSD 3.1
CD-ROM #1 .  When running /stand/sysinstall and trying to install packages
with this set-up I have no problems pulling down the index and selecting the
packages I want to install, but each package always gives me the same error
message, "Unable to fetch package [package-name] from selected media.  No
package add will be done."

I realize that not all the packages are on this disc so I'll tell you that
the packages I'm trying to install are Pine 4, Apache 1.3, Bind 8, Luna 1.9,
and so forth....stuff that *is* on that disc.

What's more, I did try to copy all of the packages folder (except the Xwin
related dirs) to the hard drive and make an FTP site from there, but the
result was the same (as expected).

Do you have any hints of what might be going on here?  I have plenty of hard
drive space to dump this stuff onto so I don't think that's the problem.

thanks,
--gill