Date:      Tue, 16 Mar 2004 16:21:49 +0000
From:      David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        Sven Willenberger <sven@dmv.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kmem_map too small, revisited

> > Another possibility is to add the DDB and DDB_UNATTENDED options
> > to your kernel and record the backtraces when the machine reboots.

> Do I need to define dumpdev in rc.conf as well? Also, after the machine
> reboots after the crash, I can access the kernel dump with DDB by
> dropping to debug mode? (via the sysctl or keyboard per the handbook and
> assuming the DDB_UNATTENDED preserves the information upon reboot into
> multi-user)

For this type of panic, I don't think setting dumpdev will be useful
(at least initially). Adding DDB to the kernel will produce a
backtrace (ie. the list of functions being called) at the time the
machine dies. You'll still have to take down this information by
hand - DDB_UNATTENDED just tells the machine to reboot rather than
dropping fully into the debugger. This is useful if the machines
are in production and you need them to be up-and-running again without
human intervention.

	David.