Date:      Tue, 11 May 1999 12:35:46 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
To:        Ekow Oppon <ekow@tango.sanbi.ac.za>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: getting freebsd via ftpHi !

On Tue, 11 May 1999, Ekow Oppon wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am a newbie trying to get into freebsd. I have downloaded the the
> floppies kern.flp and msroot.flp. I have been able to boot with these
> floppies. However, where it gets to the ftp installation (I do not have
> a CD rom), I do not know what to put in the following boxes
>
> Gateway:
> IP Address
> Host :
> server
> Domain:
> Netmask
> Extra options to iconfig :
>

> *Do I have to get an IP address on my box before I can install via ftp ?

uh.... yes.

you need to ask your system administrator for this information. or you
can use the information from the computer you are installing over
(assuming it used to be a win95 or NT box) you can right-click on
"Network Neighborhood", choose "properties" then find all this info
under "TCP/IP" settings.

> Which of these do I need ...
> ppp or slip ?

if you have a network card, then niether, just use the network card
to install.

> I'm using a network system(i.e. we have a wired network ...which I have
> connected my computer.)
>
> Please come to my aid....anybody
> Thank you ! I will appreciate a direct reply.
> PS:   I have ascess to a unix box which is also part of the network. Is
> there a way I can get the installattion on the PC via the SGI irix box ?

yes, you cancopy the installation stuff to a diectory on the IRIX box
and NFS export it, or you can enable anonymous ftp on the irix box
and install from that.

good luck,
-Alfred